An honest reflection of me- in fragments. Imperfect- Grace Covered. Balance. Mom. Wife.
Nurse. Homeschool Teacher. Christ follower first. Second changes. Thankful.

Truth and Humility in the Trader Joe's Coffee Isle

Friday, August 15, 2014


Today was a normal day
I was imperfect
My kids were imperfect
I walked around Target and Trader Joe's with a sucker stick stuck to my behind
Because it was in the seat of my car
Because the kids put it there 
On purpose
To be funny
Thank you kind, discrete perfect stranger in the TJ's coffee isle 
Thank you for letting me know I had something that looked like a tiny tail glued to the back of my maxi skirt
Thank you for smiling shyly
Thank you for withholding judgment as I peeled the orange stickiness off my backside and placed the stick-remains into my purse

It's okay for you to laugh 
It took me sometime to get to the point of laughter 
But I'm there...
Laughing 

Laughing at myself
Thinking I'm fooling the world with my tamed curls, in my skirt that makes me appear put together but feels like sweat pants
Laughing at myself
Thinking I'm winning mom of the day awards in the minds of complete strangers as I gracefully reign in the spirits of my two kids 
Laughing at myself
Because I am fooling no one but myself.

Truth is, my "I've got this"attitude needed a little humbling
Because
I don't have it all together
I am just a regular mom, with regular kids
Who needs an extraordinary God 
Because "I don't got this"
Moment by moment, 
I am reminded how much I need something, someone, who is so much MORE than me
And moment by moment
This extraordinary God, who doesn't need me, but desperately loves me
Gives me more grace, and displays His power perfectly in my weakness

In. My. Weakness.
Today I set out to mask my weakness
I set out to win the approval of strangers
I walked into the store brave faced, committed to the got-it-together good-girl show 
And He used a sticky, orange, spit out, used up lollipop handle
To remind me 
I'm weak
And it's okay
Because we all are
We are, but He's not
He used that embarrassing moment 
To remind me
It's not the approval of strangers I'm living for
I don't need to look like a good mom
I just need to give my best at being their mom
I don't need to appear put together
I simply need to allow Him to hold me together
I don't need to justify home schooling, or how I socialize my kids, or why we're at TJ's at 2pm
I only need to be faithful to the calling to do it
I don't need to be good
I need to rest in His goodness
I don't need to mask the real me
I unreservedly need to TELL myself the truth

And every once and a while - you just need a really good laugh!





 

Linking up tonight with Katie Motaung and the Five Minute Friday ladies 
On Twitter at the #fmfparty group
Tonight's prompt TELL




Share this Post Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr

4 comments:

Katha said...

Thanks for this beautiful reminder! We do need humbling everyday and I am glad that God is so patient with us. And that he often teaches us in such funny ways...:) Laughing at yourself is one of the best medicines. Happy Friday to you! - Your FMF neighbor

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Jamie, for sharing this very relatable moment with us. I especially appreciate the truth that God holds us together when we don't have it all together! Thanks for reminding me that I don't have to look like a good mom; all God asks is that I give my best at being my daughter's mom. Thankful we've connected through FMF!
Gratefully,
Renee

S said...

loved this :) i just had one of those days the other day... my kids staged a scare and had me screaming like i was mugged. don't you love those moments :)

BARBIE said...

I remember the stories of days like this when my kids were younger. They are precious and funny!




Favorite Reflections