An honest reflection of me- in fragments. Imperfect- Grace Covered. Balance. Mom. Wife.
Nurse. Homeschool Teacher. Christ follower first. Second changes. Thankful.

Perfection Stinks

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

News Flash - I'm not perfect
But, it's wound up tightly inside, hidden deep within -  masked by clean houses, status updates, homeschool planners and messy laundry cabinets kept closed off to the world.
Perfection.
Maybe it's buried inside as a result of the garden failure?
A fall driven by the desire to be like God, to know as He know so we don't have to trust as much?
Trust.
Trust that He knows us better than we know ourselves, knows our hearts our talents our good and our not good enough.  Trust that He has a plan and a purpose.  Even when our imperfection is on display and perfectly obvious to the world.
God.
He is perfect.  He is the sustainer, all-powerful creator, planner, giver, lover, Father, grace-filled merciful forgiver. But, do I strive so hard to be like Him that I forget I'm not Him?
Wear myself out striving, planning surviving?  Tidying hallways, posting only the shiny happy positives, closing doors, and putting on the face I keep in a jar by the door.
Trust.
Trust is easier than striving.
And grace.
Grace is infinitely better than failed attempts at perfection.
So I realize, I can't have both grace and striving.
When the Law says LACKING - Grace say LOVED
I need saving
Not striving
His grace is alive, working in me, accomplishing in spite of me
And that is all the perfect I need.



I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of  Holley Gerth's - You're Loved No Matter What :Freeing Your Heart From The Need To Be Perfect.  Can't wait to dig into the truths and encouragement she has to offer through her beautifully woven words.

Linking Up today with


Share this Post Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr

7 comments:

Andrew said...

Nice post!

One thought...the effort you described, the striving toward perfection, does seem to have a bit in common with Paul's 'running the race', in that you're trying to create an environment in which you, and perhaps others, can truly appreciate God's glory with as few distractions as possible.

Not a bad thing.

http://blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.com/2015/03/my-in-laws-hate-me-wedded-wednesday.html

JamieLGunn said...

Andrew - I don't disagree that the pursuit of holiness is a good thing - it's when I get tied up in the pursuit and forget the gift of salvation that I repent from! Ready for the day we can be perfect and United with our Savior!

Unknown said...

Oh, yes, I get this. The contrast between law and grace, striving and saving, and perfectionism and freedom is so great. God's been working on me with this one - so grateful for the progress.

I'm reading Holley's book now and LOVING it. I'm also leading an online book discussion of it. If you're interested in joining, let me know. (Shoot me an email at kristinhilltaylor (at) gmail (dot) com. We'll start next Monday with chapter one and continue each week, one chapter at a time.

Thanks for linking up at #ThreeWordWednesday.

Tiffany Parry said...

Oh, Jamie - you said it, sister. "Grace is infinitely better than failed attempts at perfection." I am right there with you! I feel like I'm on the 100th step of the infinite steps in perfectionist recovery. ;) I'm learning to not be ashamed of how God made me - I am a person of order, detail, and structure. But I am a child of grace and when order fails me, a failure it does not make. I was so blessed by your words today and happy to breathe in grace with you. Hugs!

JamieLGunn said...

Thanks for your sweet words! Looking forward to joining your study

JamieLGunn said...

Love it Tiffany! When I fail it doesn't make me a failure :)

Cindy Hampson said...

Very well said Jamie! i am in a similar place of just trusting and not trying to figure things out. As Holly said," Living loved as He finishes the work in me", and expecting His best..God bless you in your journey of resting and not striving! I believe that is how we shine best for Him.




Favorite Reflections