An honest reflection of me- in fragments. Imperfect- Grace Covered. Balance. Mom. Wife.
Nurse. Homeschool Teacher. Christ follower first. Second changes. Thankful.

7 Ways to Keep Your Marriage Vows

Friday, February 6, 2015



Before worse fell, and poorer was a reality,
Before babies stole our sleep, my waist line and our time
Before we knew what it meant to be held and to have
We made a promise 
Unknowing what keeping it would require

You my love are not perfect
And there are days I give you my worst because I'm not perfect either
But you have me, 
And with you I'm better

All the seemingly insignificant little life stuff adds up 
And you keep showing up
Holding me in your actions
Making me smile, opening doors, doing dishes, prioritizing us

I remember the first time sickness stole my decency
And it didn't phase you
You just wanted to make it better
I'm not a very good patient, but you are patient

I didn't understand the depth of love
How it gives, acts, and grows
And I'm learning how to cherish us,
In the quiet, in the dark, in the ordinary and uncertainty, in prayers whispered and dreams shared  

In the middle of tired and routine - How do we keep our promise?
1. Have; have fun, and have each other- at our best, at our worst and in bed
2. Hold hands, eye contact, and on to truth
3. Love with actions; plan date nights, get aways, and do dishes
4. Speak honestly; say what you mean, mean what you say and when it's not "fine" don't sit in silence 
5. Give selflessly; give time, kisses, and without expectation
6. Walk humbly; your needs and feelings above mine, my needs and feeling above yours
7. FORGIVE; most of all this - because no one is perfect





Linking up with the Five Minute Friday writers
Share this Post Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr

5 comments:

Betsy de Cruz said...

Hi there, Jamie. I'm your #FMF neighbor. I love the way you wrote a marriage post based on the word "Keep." So creative. Lots of good advice here. Thanks.

Marie said...

Swinging by from FMF, and I'm so glad I did! Really good encouragement here. Marriage days can be long and hard; we have to continually choose to love.

amber said...

so many wonderful things to remember as I am wholly in the thick of parenting and the 7th year of marriage.

Tanya Anurag said...

Beautifully composed. Life changes. It's on us, how we handle it.

You FMF friend,
Tanya
http://tanyaanurag.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Beautiful truths, friend...and I see it in you two.
Sarah




Favorite Reflections