An honest reflection of me- in fragments. Imperfect- Grace Covered. Balance. Mom. Wife.
Nurse. Homeschool Teacher. Christ follower first. Second changes. Thankful.

Consistent

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Drinking coffee, with open bibles we sat amongst the other customers,
Espresso brewing, milk frothing, dishes clanging and conversations humming.
He hovered around the table, I knew he was listening
But we just carried on - diving into the old law and the prophets promises.
Then he pulled up a chair...
Small prodding questions first and then this
"I mean, how do you reconcile the God of the old testament with the God of the new?"
I'm pretty sure I repeated his question back to him first
Paused
And gave it my best...I managed to get in the part about relationship (which I guess is what the Spirit knew he needed to hear),
But if I could do it over here is how I would answer
I believe it's proven in the Bible that
God is incapable of inconsistency
He is who He is,
Unwavering and consistent
ALL the time.
If we choose not to look at the complete Word of God it may seem He is different
I can't say I understand all the actions of God
But it is not mine for deciphering.
I do know for certain that consistently from creation, to today God is the same in that
HE DESIRES A RELATIONSHIP WITH US
We see it...
As he walks in the garden calling for Adam
When
Like a father, wanting what is best for his children,
He gives the Israelites laws to follow
Laws to keep them from sinning,
Laws that carry a conditional promise of blessing but also the promise of  a curse
For sin only separates us from Him and brings painful consequences,
And when required
He imparts punishment and judgement, consistently just, true to his promise.
We see Him
Rescue His children when they repent and call out for help
And ultimately we watch Him
Offer up the perfect sacrifice for our sin
Giving us a way to have a consistent relationship with Him
And today we have His complete Word
Whispered into the souls of men,
Penned by human hand
Spoken to us
Beneficial in every way
For
Teaching,
Rebuking,
Correcting,
Encouraging
And we have an unhindered line of communication to Him IN Christ
There is no need for reconciliation of who God is
There is only need to reconcile who we will choose to be.
Will you choose to love Him?
To listen?
To obey Him?
To rely on His promises?
To trust He is who He says He is?
To be who He has made you to be?

If only I could be as consistent...
So until I am refined into the person He has made me to be
I will continue to try, to choose, to obey, to listen, and to be.

For the Love of real life moments, consistent forgiveness, espresso with cream and God's Word 
ME

Genesis 3
Deuteronomy 11 & 30
Judges 6 & 7
John 3:16-21
2 Timothy 3:15-17
Hebrews 6:17-20
Joshua 24:15
Share this Post Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr

2 comments:

Angie said...

That's a great word! Thanks for sharing!

A. Reed said...

Beautiful refreshment to my weary soul.

"You yourselves are our letter, written on our hearts, known and read by everybody. You show that you are a letter from Christ, the result of our ministry, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the Living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts."
2 Cor 3:2-3

(And you are written on my heart forever! I love you!)




Favorite Reflections