An honest reflection of me- in fragments. Imperfect- Grace Covered. Balance. Mom. Wife.
Nurse. Homeschool Teacher. Christ follower first. Second changes. Thankful.

The little things

Wednesday, July 30, 2014


I forgot how she rambles on
How her passion plunges her into miseries depths and raises her to towers of triumph
I forgot how she loves, and desires love
How her life of rejection shaped her heart with holes of inadequacy but couldn't steal her hope
I forgot how much I loved her
And her story, how she makes me smile, makes me laugh, makes me feel
Anne with an "e"
Self described, skinny, red-headed, prone to fly into temper, imaginative - Anne
Listening to him read her story I couldn't shake these words
"All things great are wound up with all things little"

For me, it is the little things that seem the most overwhelming
It's the mundane and the routine that seem to drain and strip at any hint of greatness
The never ending tower of laundry
The writing I wanted to do but didn't get to
The scattering of legos and barbies, and construction paper scraps
The intention of exercise
The dusty surfaces and dirty dishes 
The worrying
The lesson plans and menus and grocery lists
The arguing and disciplining 
It's the everyday stuff of life, the stuff that's never really done 
It's the taunting whisper of "can't"
The nagging feeling of tired
And the dripping of time 

And then I think about those words, 
How there's real truth in them
And how nothing great just happens 
I think about how ordinary my life is 
How we're all ordinary
How greatness is birthed from ordinary 
How God chose ordinary as a means for our salvation
And how He makes us great

So greatness is wound up in the little things,
Little things done faithfully, lovingly, thankfully 
It's in the folding of laundry, and changing of diapers
It's in the dusting of shelves, and best intentions
It's in the laying down of worries and gentle loving discipline
It's in the breaking up of arguments and the picking up of toys
It's in the everyday
Because "I can"
"You can"
Even when we're tired
In spite of being tired
Because time is going to drip
I'll be a year older, they'll be a year older and one day we'll all be gone

So let's be great 
Great at thanksgiving
Great at laying down worries
Great at loving
Great in grace
Trusting our ordinary is good enough for His planned great




Share this Post Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr

6 comments:

Teresa said...

I love this Anne quote :) I'm a big fan of Anne too. There's so much truth in this.

Holley Gerth said...

Greatness is wound up in little things. Yes and yes and amen. Beautifully said, friend.

Unknown said...

You have a lovely blog--glad to have found you via Essential Fridays. What a wonderful Anne quote. Thanks for the reminder that the "small" things done in love are actually huge.

JamieLGunn said...

Thanks Teresa! It's been a fun time re-reading with our kids! And yes so much truth - thanks for stopping by!

JamieLGunn said...

Thank you for the encouraging comment Holley

JamieLGunn said...

Thank you! I look forward to reading and posting more on Essential Fridays! Blessings Constance




Favorite Reflections