An honest reflection of me- in fragments. Imperfect- Grace Covered. Balance. Mom. Wife.
Nurse. Homeschool Teacher. Christ follower first. Second changes. Thankful.

Home-School Hesitation

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

I am never going to home-school
It's just not for me
I'm not patient enough
I'm not smart enough
I'm not balanced enough

I love my kids
But
All-them, All-day, All-the-time?
I hear ya 

And then there's the other thing we all think and just don't say out loud
Weird - defined as odd, uncanny, bizarre
Being "that family" 
With "those kids" 

But here I am Reviewing my 28 week lesson plan
And planning out week 29, 30, 31 and into the summer
Not as organized or balanced as I hope to be
Different, even a bit weird
But
Changed
And Growing

I've discovered more guilt and overwhelming grace than I ever imagine possible in this place
I have a love of History that never before existed
And I'm re-learning so many things
I'm still a terrible speller and get to work through that inherited trait with my seven year old
We have space issues and noise issues to work through
But we get to do it together

I still have questions

If you're thinking about home school here's where I started:
Prayer
- "God if you want me to homeschool please make it overtly clear, close all other doors and show me what you want from me"
Truth - it was not my plan to ever homeschool.
But He did what I asked, locked tight all doors, except for the one labeled homeschool, and spoke into me what He wanted.

Friends
- Find someone you trust, and talk it through
- Surround yourselves with other mom's, ones that have made it work, or are working on it, and glean from them

The World Wide Web
- Home School Legal Defense Association
- Midwest Parent Educators

Blogs
- A Holy Experience
- Confessions of a Homeschooler
-Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers
*I could go on and on...see this article listing the top 25 homeschooling blogs

Homeschool Conferences
- Coming This April to the Kansas City Area

And then take a walk through your local Christian Book Store or a virtual one through the isles of Amazon.com and make some curriculum decisions.

I never imagined being in this place
But I am thankful
This is the place I am

A Day In The LIFE...

Share this Post Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr

2 comments:

Natasha said...

I hear you, Jamie. :) Love your transparency. I wouldn't give up a single year I have homeschooled even if I am getting tired. And I love History too!!!!

Diwakar said...

Hello Jamie Gunn. So good to know you through your profile on the blogger. I am also glad to stop by your blog "In side Out" and the post on it "Home school Hesitation". I am so moved by your honest reflection, imperfect, grace covered and Christ follower. Well I am blessed by your honest confession and more blessed to know that you are a Christ follower. Let me take this opportunity to share with you an opportunity for young people as well as adults from the West
to come to Mumbai, India on a short / long term missions trip to work with us in the slums of Mumbai among poorest of poor to share with them the good news of Jesus Christ to give them new hope, life and future. I am in the Pastoral ministry for last 34 yrs in the great city of Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to rbing healing to the broken hearted. As we encourage young people as well as adutls from the West, we would love to have you come with your friends during your summer vacation. I am sure you will have a life changing experience and you would be used in healing the diseased in the slums of Mumbai among poorest of poor. Looking forward to hear from you. My emaild id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede




Favorite Reflections