An honest reflection of me- in fragments. Imperfect- Grace Covered. Balance. Mom. Wife.
Nurse. Homeschool Teacher. Christ follower first. Second changes. Thankful.

The Anti-Picket

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

For ten years,
I've looked into the faces of hurting and broken beings.
I've bandage hearts with hugs and silent prayers
While hanging drips to numb pain and sustain a heart that is running out of beats.
Some souls have lived their life.
But for the last eight years, it's the young souls,
The ones you hope and pray have more life ahead that I serve.
And their families.
Their family, strapped with the heaviness of insecurity, and illness.

I am a PICU Nurse.

I've given up countless hours of sleep in the name of patient care and balancing life.
And this year, for the first time in ten years, I am giving up part of my pay-check.
Mind you it's not by choice.
And it doesn't come with any less responsibility.
I will just have less for doing the exact same thing, a significant amount less.

The best leaders lead by example.
I sincerely hope that the leaders at the University of Kansas Hospital, where I am proud to be an employee, have taken a look at their salaries, bonus and benefits.
I have to believe in my heart they have.
Wouldn't any company forced to take a multi-million dollar revenue hit look company wide?
Forced.
You see the Hospital will still be seeing the same number of patients, with an unchanging quality of care, while receiving less reimbursement.

It is a business.

Less money in
Has to equal
Less money out.
Or there will no longer be a business.

Am I excited to change my budget and make cuts?
Nope.
But I can not imagine loosing sleep for anything other than serving those little hearts and their families.
You will not find me in a picket line.
And if it is experienced nurses that need to take a pay-cut so that others can retain their jobs.
Consider me thankful.
Share this Post Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Proud of you!

Anonymous said...

Well Said Jamie!




Favorite Reflections